Hot on the heels of Bucharest, Cluj Napoca has seen a number of new breweries open their doors since 2017. As a result, an increasing number of bars and bottle shops stocking Romanian craft beer have shot up. Read on to discover where to find Romanian craft beer in Cluj Napoca, and check out the handy map for a bar or shop near you.
For an article with photos, please check our FB page – article is in Romanian though.
Currently home to 4 microbreweries and 5 gypsy brewers, Cluj Napoca is slowly but surely becoming a thriving brewing centre in Romania.
- Hophead Brewing: drop by the brewery to pick up bottles of beer fresh from the source. Have a chat with head brewer Darko, and discover the latest brews from this superb nano brewery. Tours can be arranged, but must be organised in advance.
- Bere a la Cluj: now brewing in Cluj Napoca after producing in Hungary for a while, their beers can be found in numerous bars and restaurants throughout the city. In January 2019, they opened their doors to Blackout Brewing, and in September 2019, they also hosted Propaganda Brewery, the latest gypsy brewer in the city.
- Kutuma: brewing since November 2017, you can find their beers by the bottle and on tap in select locations. They have also been busy hosting the gypsy brewers at Neuron Mash as well as Player One Brewery.
- Hopdrops: although based in Cluj, so far they have only done their gypsy brewing in Timişoara, at Bereta, but also collaborated with local Blackout Brewing.
Currently there is only one brew pub in Cluj Napoca. Klausenburger can be found in the centre of the old town. They brew up several different varieties of beer, most of which are available on tap in their sky bar-come-restaurant. Serving a varied menu of excellent food, it’s a great spot for lunch or dinner on a warm day. Visit their page for more information…
Craft Beer Bars
As the craft beer scene expands, the bars and restaurants of Cluj Napoca are quick to catch on. While many bars occasionally stock craft beer, the following regularly have a superb selection of Romanian craft beer.
Opening in the summer of 2017, Blend has fast become one of the best places to enjoy Romanian craft beer in Cluj. Situated on the thriving Piezișă street – in the heart of the student district – it enjoys a lively, friendly atmosphere.
With a large terrace and ample seating inside, it’s great whatever the weather. They serve a wide range of the latest Romanian and imported craft beer by the bottle, and frequently host tap take overs – showcasing the newest Romanian beers.
Home to the city’s first craft beer festival – Craft Beer Days – in summer 2017, Blend are also hosting frequent Tap Takeover events, as well as launch parties for local beers and breweries.
- Address: Piezișă Street no 8, 400371, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: 0770 552 957
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blend.BrewsAndBites
In early December of 2019, Blend have also upped their craft beer game with opening a bottle shop, as well as a small taproom on the side. This small venue has 4 taps serving a varying selection of craft beer, as well as several fridges stocked with an impressive range. From Romanian breweries to international names such as Northern Monk and Omnipollo, this is a great spot to both pick up some beer for home, or stopping by for a drink.
- Address: Piața Muzeului Nr. 6, 400019, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: 0783 027 644
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/BlendBottleshopandtaproom/
After 1 year of being closed due to renovations, Jaxx is now back in style. Home to an even wider range of craft beers than before, and with a new delicious food menu and expertly made cocktails, this pub is also worth a visit for the vibrant rock and roll atmosphere and decor.
- Address: 25 Emil Isac, 400023, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: 0756 136 948
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: facebook.com/Jaxx.American.Restaurant
Cafe by day, bustling craft beer and cocktail bar by night. They typically stock a wide range of Romanian craft beer by the bottle and on tap, from the newest releases to well loved classics. The small, atmospheric cafe is situated slap bang in the centre of the city, and is ideally located for refreshments during a busy day of sightseeing.
Just across the road from Flying Circus, it’s a great place to get some quality drinks in before a gig or a movie. They also host their own events, and being an arts and entertainment bar, you can expect local artists to showcase their work, as well as DJ sets and live music.
- Address: St. Universității no.2, 400091 Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: 0725 463 020
- Facebook: facebook.com/SistersCafenea
One of the newest places in Cluj, this little bistro opened in March 2019 and it’s set on fulfilling all your toast related needs. From breakfast, to brunch and even just a side snack to go with a cup of coffee, their menu is surprisingly varied, ranging from sweet to savory combos. They are also stocking quite a remarkable number of craft beers.
- Address: Str. Potaissa nr. 10
- Tel: 0746 456 880
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/districtoftoast/
- Email: email@example.com
If you’re looking for a slap up meal and a cold craft beer, Colin’s is well worth checking out. With their beautiful riverside terrace, and exquisite interior, you’re in for a visual feast.
- Address: Cardinal Iuliu Hossu Street 30-32, Cluj Napoca
- Tel: 0733 060 683
- Web: colinsgastropub.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/colinsgastropub
Typically referred to as a nightclub, Flying Circus may not conjure up images of a craft beer haven. However, they offer a fantastic range of classic Romanian craft beers, as well as the some of the latest releases.
Far more than just a nightclub, Flying Circus host a wide array of events and themed evenings. From Saturday night underground gigs, to soothing Jazzy Sunday afternoons, to Meet the Brewers events. Check out their Facebook page for the latest goings on.
The extensive range of Romanian craft beer is available by bottle and on draft, and can be enjoyed at any of their events, or simply over a game of Foosball with friends.
- Address: Universității Street Number 3, 400091 Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: 0752 125 412
- Facebook: facebook.com/flyingcircuscluj
Slap bang in the centre of Cluj, Moonshine offer a traditional bar, complete with dart board and the occasional live gig. With a decent selection of craft beer, a varied bottle selection and the occasional keg of Kutuma on tap.
- Address: Str. Regele Ferdinand nr.33
- Tel: 0770 730 262
- Facebook: facebook.com/moonshine.cluj
Primarily a coffee shop in the center of Cluj, it’s also a great place to try out some of the local beers, often tagged under ‘Beer of the Week’. With plenty of happy hours and a varied drinks menu, they also screen quite a few football games and other sport events, as well as live gigs. If you drop by, make sure to say hi to Dino, the resident dog mascot.
- Address: Bulevardul 21 decembrie 1989 nr. 18
- Tel: 0758 350 625
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/bleriotcafe/
- Web: bleriot.cafe
One of the most iconic alternatives to clubbing in the city, this bar, club and vinyl shop is also a great place to chill out with one of their many Romanian craft beers on the menu. Home to many live gigs, DJ sets and film projections, as well as a terrace which is perfect for grabbing a beer on a hot, sunny day.
- Address: Calea Turzii, Nr. 18
- Tel: 0757 450 631
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/colectivagazette/
Growler Stations and Bottle Shops
If you fancy a night in, there are some fantastic places to stock up on the latest Romanian craft beers.
Looking for a litre or 2 of amazing Romanian craft beer to take home, or to a party? Beer’s Point, with their 27 taps, can cater to a variety of tastes. Stocking kegs from across the country – plus the occasional import – they are the number one destination for growlers in Cluj.
With a specialised, temperature controlled keg room, each keg is kept at the optimum temperature, ensuring a great beer each and every time.
But it doesn’t end there. The range of bottles exceeds the tap offerings, featuring the very latest offerings from Romania’s micro breweries. Again, specialised fridges constantly keep the beer at the optimum temperature, ensuring your bottle has been kept at its best.
On top of a superb local selection, you can also find bottled imports from the US, UK, Belgium, France, Norway, Denmark and more. A wide range of styles are stocked, from lambics to barley wines, so if you’re hankering after something more familiar, you’ll find it here.
- Address: Observatorului Street Number 9, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: 0745 845 430
- Web: beerspoint.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/beerspoint.ro
The Liquor Store supplies a wide range of bottled craft beer from all over Romania. While the small display may feature several old classics, it’s always worth asking what’s new in stock.
They typically get their hands on the latest releases as soon as possible. On top of great beer, they stock – as the name suggests – a wide and varied range of spirits, wine and tobacco.
A great shop, located in the centre, that is open 24/7. Ideal for those craft beer emergencies. They have also a second shop in the student district.
- Address: Emil Isac Street nr 22 (centre)/ Piezisa Street nr.23 A (student district)
- Tel: 0787 646 213 / 0787 644 912
- Web: liquorstorecluj.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/liquorstorecluj
Another non-stop booze shop located in the centre of the city, Top Drinks stock a smaller range of Romanian craft beer and cider than their competitors. Nevertheless, you can normally find a bottle of something decent at any hour of the day.
- Address: Bulevardul Eroilor, nr. 35
- Tel: 0742 402 932
- Web: topdrinks.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/topdrinks.ro