Hot on the heels of Bucharest, Cluj Napoca has seen a number of new breweries open their doors in 2017. As a result, an increasing number of bars and bottle shops stocking Romanian craft beer have shot up.
Read on to discover where to find Romanian craft beer in Cluj Napoca, and check out the handy map for a bar or shop near you.
Craft Breweries in Cluj Napoca
Currently home to 3 microbreweries and 1 gypsy brewer, Cluj Napoca is slowly but surely becoming a thriving brewing centre in Romania.
- Hophead Brewing: drop by the brewery to pick up bottles of beer fresh from the source. Have a chat with head brewer Darko, and discover the latest brews from this superb nano brewery. Tours can be arranged, but must be organised in advance. Their beers can be found in numerous bars and restaurants on tap and by the bottle throughout the city – see below for more information.
- Bere a la Cluj: newly opened in Cluj Napoca after brewing in Hungary for a while, their beers can be found in numerous bars and restaurants by the bottle throughout the city – see below for more information.
- Kutuma: the latest addition to the Cluj craft beer scene, find their beer by the bottle and on tap in select locations. While not yet operational, the brewers have hinted at the possibility of introducing a tasting terrace on site in the near future. In the meantime, they have also been busy hosting the brews of Cluj-Napoca’s only gypsy brewery, Neuron Mash.
Brewpubs in Cluj Napoca
Currently there is only one brew pub in Cluj Napoca. Klausenburger can be found in the centre of the old town. They brew up to 7 different varieties of beer, all of which are available on tap in their sky bar-come-restaurant. Serving a varied menu of excellent food, it’s a great spot for lunch or dinner on a warm day. Visit their page for more information…
Craft Beer Bars in Cluj Napoca
As the craft beer scene expands, the bars and restaurants of Cluj Napoca are quick to catch on. While many bars occasionally stock craft beer, the following regularly have a superb selection of Romanian craft beer.
Opening in the summer of 2017, Blend has fast become one of the best places to enjoy Romanian craft beer in Cluj. Situated on the thriving Piezisa street – in the heart of the student district – it enjoys a lively, friendly atmosphere.
With a large covered terrace and ample seating inside, it’s great whatever the weather. They serve a wide range of the latest Romanian and imported craft beer by the bottle, and frequently host tap take overs – showcasing the newest Romanian beers.
Home to the city’s first craft beer festival – Craft Beer Days – in summer 2017, Blend promises more craft beer events in the future.
Aside from great beer, they offer a varied menu and serve up excellent food. Frequent live music and DJ sets make Blend a great place to spend the evening.
- Address: Piezisa Street no 8, 400371, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: 0770 552 957
- Web: http://www.facebook.com/Blend.BrewsAndBites
The rock ‘n roll atmosphere hits you as soon as you step into this hard rock cafe style bar. Complete with wall mounted chopper and classic car hanging above the bar, it’s the kinda place you’ll want to grab a few beers at the bar.
And, with a small but high quality range of Romanian craft beers on offer by the bottle, you won’t be disappointed! They typically stock Hophead (who brewed their limited edition 5 year anniversary beer), Ground Zero and Zaganu, plus occasional extras.
Great beer goes with great food, and the extensive menu is sure to offer something for everyone. On warm days, their terrace is ideal for escaping the city, while being right in the centre of it.
- Address: 25 Emil Isac, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: +40 756 136 953
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: jaxxrestaurants.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/Jaxx.American.Restaurant
Typically referred to as a nightclub, Flying Circus may not conjure up images of a craft beer haven. However, they offer a fantastic range of classic Romanian craft beers, as well as the some of the latest releases.
Far more than just a nightclub, Flying Circus host a wide array of events and themed evenings. From Saturday night underground gigs, to soothing Jazzy Sunday afternoons, they also host cinema evenings (complete with popcorn). Check out their Facebook page for the latest goings on.
The extensive range of Romanian craft beer is available by the bottle, and can be enjoyed at any of their events, or simply over a game of Foosball with friends.
- Address: Universității Street Number 3, 400091 Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: 0752 125 412
- Facebook: facebook.com/flyingcircuscluj
Cafe by day, bustling craft beer and cocktail bar by night. They typically serve Zăganu on tap, and stock a wide range of Romanian craft beer by the bottle. The small, atmospheric cafe is situated slap bang in the centre of the city, and is ideally located for refreshments during a busy day of sightseeing.
Just across the road from Flying Circus, it’s a great place to get some quality drinks in before a gig or a movie. They also host their own events, and being an arts and entertainment bar, you can expect local artists to showcase their work, as well as DJ sets and live music.
- Address: St. Universității no.2, 400091 Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: 0725 463 020
- Facebook: facebook.com/SistersCafenea
If you’re looking for a slap up meal and a cold craft beer, Colin’s is well worth checking out. With their beautiful riverside terrace, and exquisite interior, you’re in for a visual feast.
- Address: Cardinal Iuliu Hossu Street 30-32, Cluj Napoca
- Tel: 0733 060 683
- Web: colinsgastropub.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/colinsgastropub
Located in Cluj’s bustling student district – Hașdeu – Old Friends Pub is a cosy, olde worlde place to enjoy some great beer. On tap you’ll normally find Ground Zero or Nemteana, with a further array of bottles.
Along with great food and a friendly, buzzing atmosphere, it makes for a great place to wile away the hours.
- Address: Pastorului Street nr. 1/A, 400338 Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: 0264 439 322
- Facebook: facebook.com/TheOldFriendsPub
Growler Stations and Bottle Shops in Cluj Napoca
If you fancy a night in, there are some fantastic places to stock up on the latest Romanian craft beers.
Looking for a litre or 2 of amazing Romanian craft beer to take home, or to a party? Beer’s Point, with their 27 taps, can cater to a variety of tastes. Stocking kegs from across the country – plus the occasional import – they are the number one destination for growlers in Cluj.
With a specialised, temperature controlled keg room, each keg is kept at the optimum temperature, ensuring a great beer each and every time.
But it doesn’t end there. The range of bottles exceeds the tap offerings, featuring the very latest offerings from Romania’s micro breweries. Again, specialised fridges constantly keep the beer at the optimum temperature, ensuring your bottle has been kept at its best.
On top of a superb local selection, you can also find bottled imports from the US, UK, Belgium, France, Norway, Denmark and more. A wide range of styles are stocked, from lambics to barley wines, so if you’re hankering after something more familiar, you’ll find it here.
- Address: Observatorului Street Number 9, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: 0745 845 430
- Web: beerspoint.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/beerspoint.ro
The Liquor Store supplies a wide range of bottled craft beer from all over Romania. While the small display may feature several old classics, it’s always worth asking what’s new in stock.
They typically get their hands on the latest releases as soon as possible. On top of great beer, they stock – as the name suggests – a wide and varied range of spirits, wine and tobacco.
A great shop, located in the centre, that is open 24/7. Ideal for those craft beer emergencies. They have also a second shop in the student district.
- Address: Emil Isac Street nr 22 (centre)/ Piezisa Street nr.23 A (student district)
- Tel: 0787 646 213 / 0787 644 912
- Web: liquorstorecluj.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/liquorstorecluj
Another non-stop booze shop located in the centre of the city, Top Drinks stock a smaller range of Romanian craft beer than their competitors. Nevertheless, you can normally find a bottle of something decent at any hour of the day.
- Address: Bulevardul Eroilor, nr. 35
- Tel: 0742 402 932
- Web: topdrinks.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/topdrinks.ro