Available on the Romanian market since: April 2016
Brewing in Cluj-Napoca since: January 2018
Brewer: Alex Stoian from Propaganda Brewery
Although one of the first independent craft breweries to be added to Cluj-Napoca’s repertoire, Bere a la Cluj did not start off by brewing in the eponymous city. For almost two years, their beers were produced via contract brewing (or ghost brewing, as they call it) in Hungary, while waiting for the Romanian bureaucracy to sort itself out. Then finally, the beginning of 2018 saw them relocate to their permanent brewing grounds, a mere stone’s throw from yet another Cluj brewery, Kutuma.
Their main range consists of traditional, English ale styles, mixed in with a bit of stardust and a reinterpretation of cosmology through beer goggles – the underlining theme for their brews, each a subtle play on words for various cosmic elements, from moon phases all the way to dark holes. Even when brewing in Hungary, their beers gained popularity fairly rapidly, as well as international acclaim, with their porter winning the bronze medal at the Alltech Commonwealth Cup brewing competition in the US, back in 2017.
With their relocation to Cluj in 2018, they have also moved on to newer styles, such as a lager, and we’re hoping to see how brewing on their own premises, as well as having more control over the brewing process, will impact their final products, and whether they will tackle on more bolder styles.
Their range is usually available in 330ml glasses, as well as draft in designated locations. While they are predominantly available around the Cluj-Napoca area, they hope to expand and become national within the upcoming years. For now, you can find them online at Berero Store and offline in bars and shops in Cluj-Napoca (check out their map here).
Currently available in the Cosmospolit range:
- Gaura Neagr@ – Porter – 5% ABV
- Phaza Lunii – Pale Ale – 5% ABV
- Ursa Amar@ – Special Bitter – 6.5% ABV
- Pitica Roșie – Red IPA – 6% ABV
- Cosmobaut – Lager – 5% ABV
- Astrobaut – Dry-hopped lager – 5% ABV
Seasonal/limited edition beers:
- Fulg de Ea – Christmas Ale – 6% ABV
- Man Go – Mango Pale Ale – 4% ABV
- Spaisy Ginger Beer – Ale with ginger – 5% ABV
- Bitter Weizen – 5% ABV
- Vișină – Sour Cherry Beer – draft only
- Planetarium Session IPA – Session IPA – 4.5% ABV
Collaborations & contract brewing:
- Berea Clujenilor – Session IPA/ MNO IPA (collaboration with Kutuma and Hophead Brewing) – 5.2% ABV
- Whisky Porter – Porter brewed with whisky malt (collaboration project with students from the University of Agricultural Science & Veterinary Medicine)
- Roasters Hoppy Brew – Cold brew infused Lager (brewed for Olivo Coffee Roasters) – 5% ABV
- Eastrider – Lager (brewed for Eastride Delivery) – 5% ABV
- Vintage – Lager (brewed for Vintage Bistro) – 5% ABV
- Moonshine – Lager (brewed for Moonshine) – 5% ABV
Affiliated gypsy breweries:
- Str. Calea Baciului 179, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel: 0774 059 274
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/Berealacluj
- Web: www.berealacluj.ro/
This page was last updated June 3 2020.