Romania’s capital Bucharest is a popular travel destination, but also offers a treasure trove for craft beer fanatics.
Read on to discover where to find Romanian craft beer in Bucharest, and check out the handy map for a bar or shop near you.
The nation’s capital is home to 8 microbreweries and 7 gypsy brewers – with more to come in the near future.
- Ground Zero: with their on site tasting bar and growler fill station, it’s well worth paying them a visit. As they’re looking to expand and offer their equipment for use by gypsy brewers (they currently only have 5 brewers under their wing), they are sure to become one of the spawning points of breweries in Bucharest in the future.
- Sikaru: are becoming increasingly visible on the market, with their beers hitting supermarket shelves around the country. Find them on tap and by the bottle in select locations around the city.
- Perfektum: find their small but consistently good range on tap and by the bottle around the city. The Black IPA is a real treat!
- Three Happy Brewers: although their on-site beer garden closed this summer, this brewery hardly gets a moment of rest, as it’s playing host to several gypsy and contract brewers, such as Anagram, Dead Men Hops and Bere București.
- Oriel Beer: specializing in Belgian style beers, Oriel offer outstanding beers, currently only available by the bottle. A visit to their small, but charming brewery can be arranged, and there are plans to install a tasting bar in the near future.
- White Collar Brewing: brewing on a small scale, this new brewery is a difficult to find in bars at present, though you’ll most likely find them online at Berero Store.
- Amon Ra: another new breweries to hit the street of Bucharest, their limited range can occasionally be found in local bottle shops and bars. Well worth seeking out!
- Plan Beer: the most recent addition to the city’s brewing scene, their beers are slowly buts surely working their way on the shelves of local shops and bars.
Craft Beer Bars
More and more of the capital’s bars and restaurants are beginning to stock Romanian craft beer. Keeping track of them all is difficult, but the following list contains the venues that are guaranteed to stock some local delicacies.
Launched by the brewery behind Zăganu, the Romanian craft beer bar is situated in the heart of Bucharest. Their 10 taps and wide bottle selection showcase a number of independent microbreweries from around Romania.
Always up to date with the latest releases, it’s a fantastic place to discover the ever increasing selection of Romania’s best beers. With stylish decor and decent grub, it’s got everything you need for an evening out.
- Address: Calea Victoriei 91-93, Bucharest
- Tel: 0770 550 234
- Web: www.bere-zaganu.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/Fabrica-de-Bere-Buna-Romanian-Craft-Beer-Bar
The latest bar operated by Ground Zero combines great beer and awesome food. Here, the brewers showcase their core range, as well as a number of specialties only available at the bar – such as their nitro stout (the first Romanian nitro beer) and their experimental range. Host to several events, such as tap takeovers, IPA fests and many more, there’s always something going on besides world class beer!
- Address: Șoseaua Pipera 44, Bucharest
- Tel: 0744 768 630
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/hangargroundzero/
The Ground Zero Bar used to be the official tap house for the brewery, before they relocated their premises to Hangar (see above). The bar is open daily from 4pm, and shares the space with a local restaurant, Beauty Food Boutique. As such, you’ll find a delectable menu of fresh, locally sourced meals to compliment your beer.
Aside from their own beers, the bar also stocks numerous other Romanian and imported craft beers by the bottle and can. It’s well worth stopping by, as they often have some rarities.
- Address: Jean Louis Calderon Street 34, 020037, Bucharest
- Tel: 0759 030 609
- Facebook: facebook.com/pages/Ground-Zero-BAR
With over 100 different types of craft beers from around the world, La 100 de Beri is a beer lover paradise. You’ll find local Romanian craft beer on tap and by the bottle, along side numerous imports from around the world.
They frequently host new beer/brewery launch parties, as well as other craft beer events, such as tap takeovers.
- Address: Str. Covaci nr. 8, sector 3 (Old Centre), Bucharest
- Tel: 0372 963 543
- Facebook: facebook.com/la100deberi
Happy pub is another very well stocked craft beer bar, boasting a selection of over 160 beers from around the world. Of course, they stock local Romanian craft beers by the bottle and on tap.
Always up to date with the latest local releases, this cosy bar is a great place to chill with friends, enjoy rock music and discover new flavours.
- Address: Căderea Bastiliei 36, Bucharest
- Tel: 0736 337 606
- Web: www.happypub.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/HappyPub
The second bar from the guys at Happy Pub, the Beers is just a few doors down the road and offers an even wider selection of local and international craft beer and a little more space. Their impressive tap list is constantly rotating, featuring local breweries alongside some more exotic options. The bottle list is never-ending and constantly updated. Check them out for great beer, food and an awesome terrace in the summer.
With a traditional pub look, Beer O’Clock does not simply supply a huge range of local and international beers. It’s a cosy place that’s suited to whatever drinking mood you’re in. From a quiet pint with your newspaper, to a lively night out with friends, Beer O’Clock delivers.
They stock a huge range of Romanian craft beers by the bottle, and frequently offer at least one local beer on tap – typically Hop Hooligans. International offering feature a number of ancient classics, as well as more modern craft from the US and UK.
They have 2 locations, both in the heart of the old town.
- Address: Gabroveni Street, Nr. 4 / Calea Victoriei, Pasaj Macca, Bucharest
- Tel: 0735 187 012 / 0735 187 013
- Web: beeroclock.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/beeroclock.ro
M60 strive to keep up with the latest Romanian craft beer releases, and keep a fantastic stock of bottles. The Scandinavian inspired cafe offers a tranquil environment away from the hubbub of the city.
Aside from showcasing the latest local beers, they serve exquisite, fresh, locally sourced meals. It’s the ideal stop off for a light lunch washed down with superb beer.
- Address: Strada Mendeleev, 2, Bucharest
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: facebook.com/m60cafeamzei
- Address: Strada Gabroveni 61, Bucharest
- Tel: 031 069 9355
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craft-si-Draft-bar-de-bere-artizanala
The only absintherie in Romania, this bar has started stocking an increasing number of Romanian craft beers in 2018. Located in a lush art gallery and antiques shop in the center of the city, it also has a cozy garden, perfect for enjoying their drinks menu in summer. Check out their Facebook page as well, as they have also started hosting launch parties for new beers and breweries in the country.
- Address: Calea Victoriei nr.210, Bucharest
- Tel: 0764 148 657
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/Absintherie.Sixtina.Romania/
Open in February of 2019, Leapşa de Bere is the newest pub stocking Romanian craft beer in Bucharest. You can also find a slowly selection of imports, as well as attend any upcoming concerts. Keep an eye on their Facebook page for more.
- Address: Blvd. Hristo Botev 25, Bucharest
- Tel: 0787 655 884
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/Leapsa-de-Bere/
Growler Stations and Bottle Shops
If you’re planning for a night in with good friends and quality beers, there are a number of excellent bottle shops and growler stations dotted around Bucharest.
Stocking a superb selection of bottled craft beer from Romania and the rest of the world, you’re sure to find something you’ll love. Regularly stocking up on the latest offerings from the beer world, it’s one of the best places in the city to find the freshest releases.
- Address: Vasile Lascăr 208, 020513 Bucharest
- Tel: 0723 088 126
- Web: www.craftbeer.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/TheRealBeerShop
Launched at the end of June 2018, this craft beer shop has opened its second location in February of 2019. Promising an outstanding 170+ types of craft beer and cider in stock at any time, they also have a small and cozy bar, where you can sample their beers on site.
– Calea Dorobanților, nr. 31-33, Bucharest
– Calea Floreasca 111-113, Bucharest
- Tel: 0765 346 715
- Facebook: facebook.com/TheBeerInstitute.Romania
With a whopping 31 taps serving Romanian craft beer from across the country, there’s something to satisfy any taste. Grab your growlers and fill em up! They also stock a range of bottles – both local and imported – for those unkegged beauties.
- Address: Sos. Pantelimon 111, sector 2, Bucharest
- Tel: 0786 640 000
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/rombeer