Romania’s capital is a popular travel destination, but also offers a treasure trove for craft beer fanatics. Read on to discover where to find Romanian craft beer in Bucharest, and check out the handy map for a bar or shop near you.
For an article with photos, please check this page – article is in Romanian though.
The nation’s capital is home to 7 microbreweries and 9 gypsy brewers, as follows:
- Ground Zero: one of the pioneers of Romanian craft beer, they now have a new location, brew pub, and brewery, so paying Ground Zero a visit is a must. Host to numerous gypsy brewers – they currently have several under their wing – they are sure to become one of the spawning points of breweries in Bucharest in the future.
- Sikaru: they have become a staple on the market, with their beers hitting supermarket shelves around the country. Find them on tap and by the bottle in select locations around the city.
- Three Happy Brewers: with their own on-site beer garden during summer months, this brewery hardly gets a moment of rest, as it’s also playing host to several gypsy and contract brewers.
- Oriel Beer: specializing in Belgian style beers, Oriel offer outstanding beers, mostly available by the bottle, but also draft. A visit to their small, but charming brewery can be arranged, and there are plans to install a tasting bar in the near future.
- Amon Ra: their limited range can occasionally be found in local bottle shops and bars. Well worth seeking out!
- Plan Beer: entering the city’s brewing scene in August 2018, their beers are available in several bars and shops around the country, as well as supermarkets.
- Fabrica Grivița opened in June 2019. You can find their beers in several bottle shops around the city, although, for the fully immersive experience, we recommend paying their location a visit.
Berestroika was the first brewpub to open in the city, back in 2009. This venue serves up 4 different types of traditional beer, brewed on site, as well as huge platters of traditional food. Although their beers are available in other bars and shops, Fabrica Grivița and Ground Zero also brew and serve their beers on-site.
Craft Beer Bars
More and more of the capital’s bars and restaurants are beginning to stock Romanian craft beer. Keeping track of them all is difficult, but the following list contains the venues that are guaranteed to stock some local delicacies.
Launched by the brewery behind Zăganu, the Romanian craft beer bar is situated in the heart of Bucharest. Their 10 taps and wide bottle selection showcase a number of independent microbreweries from around Romania. Always up to date with the latest releases, it’s a fantastic place to discover the ever increasing selection of Romania’s best beers. With stylish decor and decent grub, it’s got everything you need for an evening out.
- Address: Calea Victoriei 91-93, Bucharest
- Tel: 0770 550 234
- Web: www.bere-zaganu.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/Fabrica-de-Bere-Buna-Romanian-Craft-Beer-Bar
This bar operated by Ground Zero combines not only great beer and awesome food, but it is also the place where the brewery itself is located. Here, both Ground Zero and affiliated gypsy breweries showcase their beers, with plenty of guest breweries available both on tap and by the can/bottle. Host to several events, such as tap takeovers, concerts, IPA fests and many more, there’s always something going on besides world class beer!
- Address: Șoseaua Pipera 44, Bucharest
- Tel: 0744 768 630
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/hangargroundzero/
Newly added on the list of Bucharest craft beer venues, it was opened by Hop Hooligans in September 2020. With a central location and a stunningly curated list of beers (Romanian and international), it’s one of the best places to grab the latest releases from the Hooligans, as well as some rare finds. Make sure to check out their online beer menu to see what’s available, especially on tap!
- Address: Str. Jean Louis Calderon nr 49, Bucharest
- Web: www.hophooligans.ro/pages/taproom
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/hophooliganstaproom
Opened in July 2020 by Răzvan Matache (former brewer and co-founder at Ground Zero, currently head honcho at Ironic Beer), this small, unpretentious venue features 20 taps of Romanian and international craft beer, as well as a neatly curated selection of fizzy drinks and bubbly for grown-ups.
- Address: Bulevardul Dacia Nr. 23, 010403, Bucharest
- Tel: 0724 534 465
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/ironictaproom/
Bere Și Bere offers a vibe reminiscent of London’s famous railway arch pubs, with exposed brick work and a cosy space. They stock most of the latest beers from Bucharest, as well as a selection from around the country, plus a selection of international brews. You might find the occasional beer from the likes of Verdant, Gipsy Hill, or Cloudwater – just ask at the bar! Snacks like pretzels and peanuts are on the house, but if you’re looking for something more substantial, they also have a menu of burgers, sausages, and other pub grub.
- Address: Strada Gabroveni nr 4, Bucharest
- Tel: 0723 280 040
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/beresiberepub
One of the latest pubs to appear in what seems to be Bucharest’s up and coming central beer district, Beer Station is part of the same venture as Bere Și Bere, sharing the same owner. Its steampunk look is one of a kind in terms of local craft beer pubs, and it even has a train track leading you towards the bar! With 14 taps (at least 10 of which are reserved for Romanian craft beer), it’s also one of the few bars in the country that stores kegs in a beer fridge, so you can be sure you’ll enjoy them at their freshest. Home to over 200 beer labels by the bottle, both local and foreign craft, it also shares a kitchen and food menu with it’s sister venue, Bere Și Bere.
- Address: Strada Gabroveni nr 4, Bucharest
- Tel: 0766 432 387
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/beerstationbucharest/
- Web and online shop: www.beerstation.ro/
M60 strive to keep up with the latest Romanian craft beer releases, and keep a fantastic stock of bottles. The Scandinavian inspired cafe offers a tranquil environment away from the hubbub of the city. Aside from showcasing the latest local beers, they serve exquisite, fresh, locally sourced meals. It’s the ideal stop off for a light lunch washed down with superb beer.
In summer, do make sure to check out their outdoor terrace at Spațiul M60, on C.A. Rosetti 3, where their selection of beers and great food is on par with the main location.
- Address: Strada Mendeleev, 2, Bucharest
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: facebook.com/m60cafeamzei
Zeppelin has been around for a few yeas now, and has witnessed the recent craft beer boom. Even before craft was readily available, they stocked a number of international brews. Nowadays they keep a small, but interesting selection of mostly Bucharest beers in the fridge at any time, plus a broad range of international offerings, with around 99 beers in total. They also have their house beer on tap, an American Pale Ale brewed by White Collar Brewing. No visit is complete without petting Fea the pub cat, who will no doubt be lounging on one of the tables somewhere!
- Address: Str Marin Serghiescu, no. 7, Bucharest
- Tel: 0734 608 838
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/Zeppelinpubbucharest
With a traditional pub look, Beer O’Clock does not simply supply a huge range of local and international beers. It’s a cosy place that’s suited to whatever drinking mood you’re in. From a quiet pint with your newspaper, to a lively night out with friends, Beer O’Clock delivers. They stock a huge range of Romanian craft beers by the bottle, and frequently offer at least one local beer on tap – typically Hop Hooligans. International offerings feature a number of ancient classics, as well as more modern craft from the US and UK.
- Address: Strada Gabroveni nr 4, Bucharest
- Tel: 0735 187 012
- Web: beeroclock.ro
- Facebook: facebook.com/beeroclock.ro
With over 260 different types of craft beers from around the world, La 100 de Beri is a beer lover paradise. You’ll find local Romanian craft beer on tap and by the bottle, along side numerous imports from around the world. They frequently host new beer/brewery launch parties, as well as other craft beer events, such as tap takeovers.
- Address: Strada Gabroveni nr 61, Bucharest
- Tel: 0733 282 598
- Facebook: facebook.com/la100deberi
For the past couple of years, MercatoComunale has slowly but surely made a name for itself as a craft beer hub in Bucharest. This venue also stands out because it only provides outdoor seating, but its large terrace has been home to several craft beer parties, as well as pop-up market events, live music, movie nights, and more. They also provide a varied food and drinks menu, and sometimes have craft beer stands on site, manned by the brewers themselves.
- Address: Str. Gheorghe Demetriade, no. 6 – 10, Bucharest
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/MercatoCB
Newly opened in December 2020, the pub is located on the old location of the (currently closed) Mikkeller Bucharest bar. Drop by for a good selection of craft beers, wine, as well as their Not So Fast Food burgers.
- Address: Piața Charles de Gaulle 3, Bucharest
- Tel: 0757 574 977
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/CraftBeerAndWineBar
Located in a part of the city that doesn’t get enough good pubs and bars, HOOD is a great place to grab some Romanian craft beers to go, or even hang out and try an offering from one of their 6 beer taps.
- Address: Str. Solstițiului 2G, Popești-Leordeni
- Tel: 0723 363 846
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/HOODPUB
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
* TEMPORARILY CLOSED *
Run by the guys behind the Sikaru brewery, this tap room in the centre of the old town is a great place to discover their freshest offerings. On top of that, you’ll find numerous other local beers on tap and by the bottle.
- Address: n/a (temporarily closed)
- Tel: 031 069 9355
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/Craft-si-Draft-bar-de-bere-artizanala
* TEMPORARILY CLOSED *
Merged with Happy Pub in early 2019, The Beers is just a few doors down the road and offers an even wider selection of local and international craft beer and a little more space. Their impressive tap list is constantly rotating, featuring local breweries alongside some more exotic options. The bottle list is never-ending and constantly updated. Check them out for great beer, food and an awesome terrace in the summer.
- Address: Căderea Bastiliei 11, 010615, Bucharest
- Tel: 0736 337 606
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/thebeerspubrestaurant
- Web: www.the-beers.ro
Growler Stations and Bottle Shops
If you’re planning for a night in with good friends and quality beers, there are a number of excellent bottle shops and growler stations dotted around Bucharest.
Launched at the end of June 2018, this craft beer shop has opened its second location in February of 2019. Promising an outstanding 170+ types of craft beer and cider in stock at any time, they also have a small and cozy bar, where you can sample their beers on site.
– Calea Dorobanților, nr. 31-33, Bucharest
– Calea Floreasca 111-113, Bucharest
- Tel: 0765 346 715
- Facebook: facebook.com/TheBeerInstitute.Romania
With a whopping 31 taps serving Romanian craft beer from across the country, there’s something to satisfy any taste. Grab your growlers and fill em up! They also stock a range of bottles – both local and imported – for those unkegged beauties.
- Address: Sos. Pantelimon 111, sector 2, Bucharest
- Tel: 0786 640 000
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/rombeer
A second shop belonging to the Stația RomBeer franchise, located in Domino Plaza shopping center. The format and selection of beers offered is typically the same.
- Address: Str. Maica Domnului, nr. 61-63, Bucharest
- Tel: 0746 346 800
- Web: domino.rombeer.ro/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/RombeerDominoPlaza
A new franchise of bottle shop and growler station that aims to open in several locations around the country. They offer both bottles and draft beer to take-away, as well as an online platform for ordering beer sets.
- Address: Calea Vitan 236, Centrul Comercial Auchan Vitan, Bucharest
- Tel: 0740 522 648
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/casaberarilorartizanivitan/
- Web: casaberarilor.com/franciza/
- Online shop: casaberarilor.com/product-category/bere-artizanala/
A growler fill station and bottle shop stocking a wide range of the latest releases from across the country. They’re conveniently located in the Grand Arena mall on Bulevardul Metalurgiei. Also, make sure to check out their own range of beers (both on tap and in bottles), contract brewed at Carol Beer.
- Address: Strada Amurgului 31, Popești-Leordeni, Bucharest
- Tel: 0726 581 965
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/ArtizanBeer