Location: Jilava, Ilfov county
Open since: November 2016
Brewers: Cristian Mihai Dinu and Mircea Georgescu
It would be safe to say that Hop Hooligans are not only the prodigies of the Romanian craft beer scene, but also the most prolific brewery in the country. Though not the first and definitely not the largest in terms of output, they have quickly become one of the most instantly recognizable presences on the market. Their story started off when Mircea and Cristi partnered up with Petre Ion, founder of Beer O’Clock, one of the first craft beer bars in the country. Sadly, about half a year since their launch, Petre died in a car crash in late April of 2017, leaving the hooligans to fend for themselves. Times were grim for a while (the name of their Game Over IPA was more than just a gimmick), yet through hard work and an ever growing fan base, the orphaned lads managed to pull through and persevere in the industry.
What sets them apart is not only the quality of their brews (a quick search on either RateBeer or Untappd will always contain at least one of their concoctions in the top 10 beers in Romania), but their diligence in approaching new ideas, as well as equally crafty industry folk for some truly remarkable collaborations.
The Hop Hooligans life motto is fairly straightforward: they only make beer that they would like to drink. Luckily for us, there’s no shortage of styles these guys are willing to try, or the kind of adjuncts they’re willing to use to spice things up a notch. So far, their beer portfolio has expanded like a ravenous yeast culture that has sniffed out some fermentable sugars, and they have approached many styles that are a first on the Romanian market: milk stouts, sours, barley wines, as well as a list of adjuncts that encompasses everything from orange peels to spruce tips and jalapeños. Heck, their Shock Therapy IPA range alone seems wholly dedicated to trying out every hop combo available since people got tired of drinking gruit, so there’s no saying where their experiments will end.
Their array of collaborations is expanding just as boldly, seeing brew days in partnership with both Romanian brewers (such as Bereta, or Wicked Barrel and Hophead), as well as breweries from Wales or, closer to home, in Moldova. And when you’re so busy poking your nose in your neighbor’s mash tun, it’s only normal that someone’s going to take notice. Therefore, they should definitely be proud of the fact that their beers are available (not only by the bottle, but also on draft) in select locations in the UK and Poland, as well as appearing at international beer festivals in Belgium, for instance.
Ever so keen on being revolutionary, in June 2018 they also announced the purchase of a canning facility from the UK, thus making them the first Romanian craft brewery to be available by the can. A very bold move, yet one we’ve eagerly awaited, especially in the light of them considering switching from bottles altogether.
In a few short months since early November 2016, the hooligans have gone from the new kids on the block, to one of the most widely regarded breweries in the country. Less than a year down the line, in July 2017, they have also become one of the 5 independent breweries to join the Craft Beer Producers’ Association aiming to promote Romanian craft beer, as well as helping out brewers set up and further their growth on the market. And at the rate at which they’re growing and exploring new avenues, keeping an eye on their brews is a definite must.
Their impressive range is available in both 330ml and 500ml bottles, 330ml cans, as well as draft in designated pubs and shops across the country, with cans to follow in a short while. Or, if you prefer to enjoy them from the comfort of your home, you can order them online from Berero Store.
- Crowd control – IPA (over 50 batches brewed so far) – 6% ABV
- Chupacabra – Spiced Stout – 7.5% ABV
- Royal Execution – ESB – 6.5% ABV
- Summer Punch – Pale Ale – 5% ABV
- Cannon Fire – Coconut Porter – 5.7% ABV
- Shock Therapy – IPA (currently at its 12th version, each one rocking a different hop addition – see detailed list below) – 6.5% ABV
- Fist Fight – Session IPA – 4.5% ABV
- Night Lights – Black IPA – 6.5% ABV
- Dumpster Bear – Blueberry Milk Stout – 7% ABV
- Emperor – Mango Wheat Ale – 6.5% ABV
- Tonka Rush – Coffee Stout – 9% ABV
- Melting Pot – English Barley Wine – 12.5% ABV
- Koschei – Imperial Russian Stout – 10.5% ABV
- Lederhosen – Hefeweizen – 6.5% ABV
- Modern Mosaic – Imperial IPA – 9% ABV
- Sencha – Japanese Tea Pale Ale – 5% ABV
- Game Over – IPA – 6% ABV
- Sourpuss Blackberry – Berliner Weisse – 5% ABV
- Winter Socks – Fig and Maple Winter Warmer – 9% ABV
- Evergreen – Spruce Tip IPA – 7% ABV
- Sourpuss Raspberry – Berliner Weisse – 5% ABV
- Heartbreaker – Hibiscus, Lime and Jalapeño IPA – 6.5% ABV
- Why the Long Face? – Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Stout – 7.5% ABV
- Time – Imperial Stout (aged on Chocolate, Coffee and Vanilla) – 11% ABV
- Shady Sushi – IPA (due in July) – 8% ABV
The Shock Therapy IPA versions:
– Version 1: Rakau & Waimea
– Version 2: Hallertau Blanc & Hüll Melon
– Version 3: Azacca & Simcoe
– Version 4: Flight & Waimea
– Version 5: Ekuanot
– Version 6: Centennial & Mosaic
– Version 7: Sorachi Ace
– Version 8: Citra & Ella
– Version 9: Falconer’s Flight
– Version 10: Azacca
– Version 11: Citra
– Version 12: Ekuanot & Centennial
- 6 Years O’Clock – IPA (collaboration with Ground Zero, brewed for the 6 year anniversary of Beer O’Clock) – 6% ABV
- Nutbusters – Coconut Vanilla Smoothie IPA (collaboration with Bereta) – 6.7% ABV
- 7 Years O’Clock – IPA (brewed for the 7 year anniversary of Beer O’Clock) – 6% ABV
- Chunky Pith – Chocolate Orange Stout (collaboration with Waen and Hopcraft) – 8.5% ABV
- Sinking Ship – Imperial Smoked Rye Porter (collaboration with Sunstone Alehouse) – 9% ABV
- Pulp Friction – Pineapple, Passion fruit and Apricot IPA (collaboration with Bereta) – 6.5% ABV
- Screwed Up – Triple dry-hopped Rye IPA (collaboration with Hophead) – 7.5% ABV
- New Lands – Norwegian Farmhouse IPA (collaboration with Wicked Barrel) – 7.5% ABV
- 8 Years O’Clock – IPA (collaboration with Bereta and Ground Zero, brewed for the 8 year anniversary of Beer O’Clock) – 6% ABV
- Birthday Bash – Strawberry Milkshake IPA (collaboration with Bereta and Wicked Barrel, brewed for Berero Store 3 year anniversary) – due late July
- Str. Sos. Giurgiului 33, Jilava, Ilfov, Muntenia
- Web: www.hophooligans.ro
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/hophooligans
This page was last updated June 27 2018.