Location: Giarmata, Timiş county
Gypsy brewing since: May 2016
Brewing on their own since: June 2018
Brewers: Adrian Biebel & Silviu Burtă
Bereta represent the embodiment of the new wave of modern brewers: young beer aficionados turned homebrewers, turned gypsy brewers, then recently turned fully fledged brewers, with their own brewery. The story kicked off back in 2014, the result of an off chance meeting between two guys who were really into their beers. Over 100 batches of homebrewing and various recipes later, they decided it was time to pull out the big guns, and headed down to Bucharest to try their luck. It was in June 2016 that they were given free reign over the mash tuns and fermenting vessels at Ground Zero and thus became the first gypsy brewers (i.e. brewers without a brewery) in Romania. Since then, they’ve also worked with Hop Hooligans and Wicked Barrel to produce a variety of interesting, and on occasion, ground breaking beers.
The lads describe their beers as ‘social lubricant’, and if there’s one thing that truly defines their styles, it’s the use of hops. Dank, fruity, resinous, bitter hop bombs; throw in a bit of oats and they’ve got themselves a recipe for success. In fact, Juicebag, their first New England IPA, took home the RateBeer award for the Best Beer in Romania in 2016. Set on bigger things, the lads also kicked off the IPA revolution in Romania back in October 2016, when they released Citro, the country’s first New England style Pale Ale. And because staying consistent is quite a feat for most craft breweries, they decided that they might as well grab the 2017 RateBeer award for the Best Beer in Romania. Which they did, after a brief detour through the dark realms of Imperial Stouts and a very lucrative collaboration with Wicked Barrel.
In March 2018, they decided it was time to bring their wandering ways to an end, as well as let Ground Zero catch their breath (who they’ve been tormenting for almost two years with their gypsy brewing shenanigans). And as a parting gift, they did one last take (well, technically two) on their highly praised collaboration with Wicked Barrel, launching a limited edition (500 bottles only) of the Black Pot Imperial Stout, as well as a Bourbon chips and vanilla rendition of the same recipe.
Not long after, in June of 2018, they not only got their authorizations and started producing beers in their own brewery, but also decided that everyone should be invited to their launch party. And what better way to do that than by organizing Timişoara’s first craft beer festival, which they did by partnering up with local pub and beer shop Bibliotheka.
Always true to remembering their own humble beginnings, in October of 2018 they launched their Bereta Brewing Community program, which provided homebrewers in Romania with a tremendous opportunity: making their beer in an actual brewery. The winners have all been dutifully announced, and it looks like 2019 will be a busy year for them, with 5 lucky winners due to have their beers officially released between January and May.
The guys are more than liberal with advice, so it’s worth checking their Facebook page for their series of notes, which contain a lot of useful information for both homebrewers, potential gypsy brewers, as well as recipes and stories behind some of their own concoctions (notes are only available in Romanian).
Their range (both the gypsy and the newer stuff) is usually available in 330ml bottles, as well as draft in designated locations. Generally speaking, they make it to the online shelves at Berero Store soon after launch, but if you prefer to buy them offline, specialized shops and bars in Bucharest are a safe bet, as well as Beer’s Point in Cluj, and various locations in their hometown, Timişoara.
Also, looking out for the beer bottles from their early days is advised, as some of them come with a short comic strip on the label, telling the story of the craft beer revolution as it unfolds (artistic licenses may apply).
Brewed at their own brewery:
- Random IPA – 6% ABV
- Random DIPA – 8% ABV
- Citro – Pale Ale – 6% ABV
- ‘Ai pi iei – IPA – 6.3% ABV
- Random Pale Ale – 5.5% ABV
- Juicebag – IPA – 6% ABV
- It Has To Start Somewhere – DIPA – 8% ABV
- 8=D – IPA – 6% ABV
- 8==D – DIPA – 8% ABV
- 8====D – Black IPA (due 2019)
- No Dry Hop – 6.3% ABV
Seasonal/limited edition beers:
- Another One Down – 2 year anniversary IPA – 6% ABV
Collaborations at their own brewery:
- White Diamond Whale – Farmhouse Peach IPA (collaboration with Hop Hooligans) – 7.3% ABV
- Speish Odyssey – IPA (collaboration with Wicked Barrel) – 6.6% ABV
- Margherita – Basil Wheat Ale (collaboration with La Pizza Napoletana) – 4.9% ABV
- Pulp Friction 2 – Pineapple, passion fruit and peach IPA (collaboration with Hop Hooligans) – 6.5% ABV
- Morning Shot – Breakfast Stout (collaboration with Wicked Barrel) – 8% ABV
- Big Bang – NE Jasmine Saison (collaboration with Armando Otchoa – coming soon) – 7% ABV
Gypsy range brewed at Ground Zero Brewery:
- ‘Ai pi iei (Batch 1, orange label) – IPA – 6.3% ABV
- ‘Ai pi iei (Batch 2, blue label) – IPA
- Citro – NEPA – 6% ABV
- Juicebag – NEIPA – 6% ABV
- Juicebag – Simcoe dry hop edition – 6.6% ABV
- Juicebag – Nelson Sauvin dry hop edition – 6.6% ABV
- Nelson Galaticu’ – IPA – 7.1% ABV
- One Down – 1 year anniversary IPA – 6.2% ABV
- Ai pi iei (Batch 3, green label) – IPA
- Citro V2 – IPA – 8% ABV
- Times Are Changing – Double IPA – 8% ABV
Collaborations at Ground Zero brewery:
- Imperial Juice – NEIPA (collaboration with Ground Zero) – 9% ABV
- The Black Pot – Imperial Stout (collaboration with Wicked Barrel) – 10.5% ABV
- Milk the fruits (apricot) – Apricot Ale (brewed for Berero Store) – 6.5% ABV
- Orange Snow – Citrus Hoppy Saison (collaboration with Ground Zero) – 5.9% ABV
- Roots Hoppy Roots – Double IPA (collaboration with Ground Zero) – 8% ABV
Collaborations at Hop Hooligans brewery:
- Nutbusters – Coconut vanilla smoothie IPA – 6.7% ABV
- Pulp Friction – Pineapple, passion fruit and apricot IPA – 6.5% ABV
- 8 Years O’Clock – IPA (collaboration with Ground Zero and Hop Hooligans, brewed for the 8 year anniversary of Beer O’Clock) – 6% ABV
- Birthday Bash – Strawberry Milkshake IPA (collaboration with Wicked Barrel and Hop Hooligans, brewed for Berero Store 3 year anniversary) – 6% ABV
- Str. Calea Timişoarei 42A, Giarmata, Timiş, Romania 307210
- Tel: +40 744 616 705
- Web: www.bereta.tm.ro
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/BeretaTM