Open since: June 2017
Head brewer: David Raets
Output in 2018: 800 hectolitres (including gypsy & contract brewers)
Romania seems to be a favourite playground for foreign investors and beer lovers, who often end up settling here and opening a business, in a pursuit to make beers that are common in their native lands. Not that we’re complaining – if anything, there’s a fair chance that without them, we would have taken far longer to produce IPAs and stouts, and all manner of styles that are not adjacent to lagers or pilsners.
Three Happy Brewers (two Italians and a Belgian, to be more precise) follow the same success story. In 2015, the Michele, Giulio and David decided to put their love for world-wide beer styles, travelling and homebrewing together, and shaped their vision into the brewery which launched 2 years later.
What makes Three Happy Brewers stand out among other breweries is the accent they place on styles rather than their use of adjuncts and convoluted recipes. While other breweries focus on various hop and malt combos, THB embark on a journey to rediscover and show their own take on both traditional, as well as newer beer types. This isn’t to say that they will shy away from trying out the odd fruity number, as well as collaborating with other breweries to tackle new ideas.
Three Happy Brewers and their ‘Always happy’ tag line found a spot in the hearts of both beer lovers and breweries within a year of their opening. Not only have they doubled their production line with four shiny fermenting vessels in 2018, they have also participated in quite a few collaborations. So far, they have started making customized beers for some of the bars, pubs and private contractors around Bucharest, and they also took a couple of gypsy brewers under their wing.
Their beers are easily available throughout the country, either by 330ml bottles or on draft. Check out the map on their website for your nearest place stocking their brews, or get them online from Berero Store.
- Australian Pale Ale – 5.5% ABV
- Czech Pilsner – 5% ABV
- West Coast IPA – 5.6% ABV
- Belgian Enkel – 4.8% ABV
- English Amber Ale – 5.5% ABV
- Vienna Lager – 5.5% ABV
- Robust Porter – 6% ABV
- Bohemian Lager – 5% ABV
- East Coast IPA – IPA – 6.5% ABV
- Carioca – Hazy Session IPA – 5% ABV
- Coney Island – Session Hazy IPA – 5% ABV
- Pumpkin Ale – 5.6% ABV
- XTBeer – IPA – 5.7% ABV
- Balkan Breakfast – Coffee Oatmeal Stout with coffee from Claro Cafe Roastery – 7% ABV
- Trojka – Pomegranate Saison (collaboration with Browar Szpunt and Ah Brew Works) – 5.9% ABV
- Bad Baba – American Wheat Ale with thyme and goji berries (collaboration with Ah Brew Works) – 5% ABV
- Tea Muppets – Tea Hopped ESB (collaboration with Sunstone Alehouse) – 5% ABV
- Kveik (collaboration with Brulandselva) – coming soon
- Mr. Habi Benero – Black Ale with Habaneros (with Ah Brew Works) – 7% ABV
- Circus Pub – Pale Ale (brewed for Circus Pub) – 5.5% ABV
- Acuarela – Wheat Beer (brewed for Acuarela Bistro) – 4.8% ABV
- Daft Bull – English Wheat Ale (brewed for Hilton Garden Inn) – 5.3% ABV
- Hai La Euro – Lager (brewed for The Beer Institute) – 5% ABV
- Berea Nației – Lager (brewed for The Beer Institute 1st year anniversary) – 5% ABV
- La Vale – Lager (brewed for the Drobeta Turnu-Severin Enduro National Cup)
- 1312 Ale – Golden Ale (brewed for The Urbanist) – 4.8% ABV
Affiliated contract brewery:
Affiliated gypsy breweries:
- Str. Rușețu 10, București
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.threehappybrewers.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/ThreeHappyBrewers
This page was last updated November 22 2019.