Gypsy brewing since: May 2018
Brewing on their own since: June 2020
Head brewer: Paul-Andre Baran
In order to trace the beginning of Anagram Brewery, we would have to head out to San Francisco, in the late 90’s, when Paul was busy waiting tables during his student years. Back then, the West Coast was going through some interesting times, as more and more craft breweries became available on the menus, and the craft beer movement in the US as we know it today was beginning to unfold.
Paul left the US just as things were beginning to heat up, but he did take his impressions of craft beer to Romania, where he settled in 1998. Once in the country, he was quick to miss the pale ales and IPAs that he had grown accustomed to, and what better option than to start brewing his own.
Fast forward to almost a decade, he reached out to David from Three Happy Brewers, and began discussing the possibility of gypsy brewing on their premises. And in May of 2018, they took their West Coast IPA to the debutantes ball, where she enjoyed a thorough reception.
The name of the brewery has a deep, personal meaning to both Paul and his wife, Raluca, who spent many hours indulging in anagrams in between flights to and from the US. But the name is more than just word play, as it also speaks of the brewer’s passion for mixing ingredients, approaching new styles, as well as changing the mentality of beer drinkers in Romania, the way he had witnessed it in the States.
On June 1st 2020, after over two years of gypsy brewing at Three Happy Brewers, they finally started brewing at their own brewery in Bucharest. We’re expecting not just an increase in output as a result, but we’re also hoping that Paul will soon start working on his sour beer range, which he’s been talking about for quite some time.
Brewed at Three Happy Brewers:
- Best-Coast IPA – West Coast IPA – 7% ABV
- Saison de Citron – Saison/ Farmhouse Ale – 4.8% ABV
- Masai Stout – Stout with coffee from Madison Roasters – 6% ABV
- Zen Den – IPA – 6% ABV
- BIG SUR – California Common – 5.4% ABV
- Sonic – Tonic-infused Saison (collaboration with Kofi Ti) – 4.8% ABV
- Chocol’ha – Spicy Chocolate Stout (with cocoa nibs from Thea’s Chocolate) – 9% ABV
- Cinco de Quatro – Baja Lager – 4.72% ABV
Brewed at their own brewery:
- Inception – Hazy IPA – 6.5% ABV
- Must Have – Grape Juice DIPA (with Hop Hooligans) – 8% ABV