Gypsy brewing since: February 2018
Brewer: Darius Copilău
There are many things we like about Ground Zero, from the fact that they have been pioneering the craft beer movement in Romania, to the fact that they are more than helpful with anyone looking to embark on a similar journey. Needless to say, the rapidly expanding brewery in Bucharest has, throughout the years, become the birthing ground of many of the gypsy breweries you come across on the market.
The story of Zburătorul saw its debut back in 2017. Originally trained in mountain rescue, Darius decided to use his mountaineering skills to climb in and out of various mash tuns and fermenting vessels instead, as he took on the job of brewer for Ground Zero. Several months later, he was confident enough to try his hand at making his own brew, and in March of 2018, he launched his first beer, and Zburătorul also became the first gypsy brewery to launch that year.
Contrary to popular belief, the name of the brewery does not hint at the winged nocturnal visitor from Romanian folklore, set to sweep the unassuming ladies off their feet and into the night. Instead, Zburătorul aims for a circus theme, and the spicy, rye notes of their amber ale go well in hand with the fire breathing motif on their debut label. Since then, their collection of both circus freaks and beer styles has increased steadily, and we’re looking forward to see what they come up with next!
Brewed at Ground Zero:
- Joc De Foc – American Rye Amber Ale – 5.5% ABV
- Trândava – NEIPA – 4.8% ABV
- Blind Detective – London Pale Ale – 4.8% ABV
- Gilă-Păs-Lungilă – West Coast IPA – 6% ABV
- Cal’Maro – Cold Brew Porter – 4.5% ABV
- Saga – Imperial Stout (aged on Andalusian sherry wine oak barrel chips) – 12.5% ABV
Collaborations at Ground Zero:
- Jungle Juice – Gose with mango (collaboration with Wicked Barrel) – 4% ABV
- Strada Lebedei 16, București
- Tel: 0732 991 834
- Web: www.bereazburatorul.ro
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/Berea.Zburatorul