Open since: July 2017
Head brewer: Ionel Păsărică
Romanians are funny people, with funny sayings. One such phrase roughly translates to ‘my goat may have died, but I want my neighbor’s goat to die as well’. Goats aside, it was the budding rivalry between the emerging craft beer movement and the macro breweries in Romania that sparked the idea behind the name of the first brewery in Iași.
It all started with 3 Belgians and 1 Romanian entrepreneur who decided that the city of Iași was long overdue a piece of the brewing action. So in 2016, they had a sit down, and took a good look at the local industry and what was missing in the area. Then, they flew in Belgian brew master Raymond Franciscus de Saegher for inspiration, got their hands on some shiny new brewing equipment, bit of Polish malt, sprinkle of French yeast, some Belgian recipes and got to work. Soon after, in July 2017, their first kids (all puns intended) left the brewery and hit the shelves.
Capra Noastră (which translates to ‘Our Goat’) saw a very successful debut, and by the end of their first month on the market, their 5000 liter setup was put to work once more, as their initial batches sold out. In terms of styles, they have a predilection for Belgian style ales, complete with the addition of coriander, cardamon, orange peels and honey, although in September 2017 they took a sharp turn into the realm of IPAs. They also seem to have a knack for rhymes and good old Moldovan humor, best enjoyed straight on their Facebook page.
In July 2018, to celebrate their first birthday, they launched the ‘Pick the Goat’ campaign and upgraded their range with 3 new beers, available by 500ml bottles and packed with a exciting fruit and spice combo, as well as a very curious Tripel that swapped its hops for endives. Not only that, but they are also looking to start kegging at some point this year.
Their beers are available by 330ml and 500ml bottles in pubs and specialized shops around the country, or online at Berero Store. Although, if you prefer, you can pick them up fresh from the
goatery brewery in Iași.
- Capra Noastră Albă – Belgian wit – 6.5% ABV
- Brună Seara – Brown ale – 6.5% ABV
- Vagablonda Triplă – Tripel – 7.5% ABV
- Saison – 6% ABV
- IPA – 6.2% ABV
- Noaptea Mâţei – Dark Abbey Beer (neagră de abație) – 11% ABV
- Triplă Christmas Edition (750ml bottle) – Tripel – 7.5% ABV
- Oaia e prea creață – Kriek-style beer with bitter cherries and coriander – 6.2% ABV
- Vaca e prea înaltă – Tripel with endives (no hops) – 7.5% ABV
- Măgărița e prea căpoasă – Kriek-style beer with blueberries – 6.2% ABV
- Calea Chișinăului 29, Iași
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/Capra-Noastră-Bere-Artizanală-făcută-în-Iași
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This page was last updated June 28 2018.